Squash is so versatile and ageless. It can just hang about on your countertop waiting for you to get inspired. I admire a vegetable with a long shelf life. This squash recipe owes its great taste to wonderful Indian spices. It is inspired by Vikas Khanna’s “Flavors First.” If you could judge a book by its cover, you would rate this one highly. Girls? Are you paying attention? I haven’t stalked Vikas online to make sure that he’s available and straight, but I just want my daughters to know that we’ll embrace anyone you bring home, as long as he can cook.
Coconut Butternut Squash
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 t cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chili peppers, stemmed
- 1″ long piece cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash, flesh cooked and mashed
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/2 c dried, grated unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro
Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the cumin seeds, dried chilies, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Stir for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned. Add the squash. Lower the heat to medium and heat through, stirring. Mix in the coriander, sugar and salt. Add the coconut, stirring well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Discard the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and the dried chilies. Garnish with cilantro and a few coconut flakes. Serves 6-8.
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 T low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 2 t curry paste
Mix marinade ingredients in a large Ziplock bag. Marinate shrimp for 10 minutes. Empty the marinade into a large flat frying pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes over medium-high. Add shrimp and cook in a single layer for about 4 minutes, flipping once. Remove shrimp onto a serving plate and thicken the remaining juices for about 3 minutes. Spoon sauce over shrimp. Garnish with a little cilantro. Serve on Coconut Butternut Squash. Serves 4.
- OK. Had a little time to do some sleuthing and Vik isn’t married, lives in NYC and hopes to have a family. We may be in business. You can believe everything you read on the web, right?
- Shrimp marinade ingredient list is from All Recipes Spiced BBQ Shrimp.
- The Golden Ticket Side Dish: Simple Roasted Butternut Squash (lowfat.answers.com)
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup (jailavie.com)
- Thai Red Curry Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (twistedcheft.com)
- Simple Roasted Butternut Squash for Beginners (lowfat.answers.com)
- Tips for Preparing Butternut Squash (lowfat.answers.com)
- Thai Butternut Squash Soup (itsallaboutmefitness.com)
- Chicken Chili Verde with Tomatillos and Butternut Squash (crossfit810.typepad.com)
- Wicked Butternut Squash Casserole (queenofmum.wordpress.com)
- How to Peel and Cube a Butternut Squash – Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Roasted Butternut Squash: The Perfect Fall Dish (lowfat.answers.com)