How often do you wonder about your very own parallel universe? Do you let your mind wander to other possible lives you could be living? It starts off with; “In another life I could be…” and ends with your imagination taking you somewhere you’ve often dreamed of being.
Lately I’ve been daydreaming about cooking school. The Sharper Your Knife the Less You Cry is to blame. I wonder how differently I would have lived if I’d been professionally trained as a chef. Then I snap back to reality and feel grateful to have the drive to keep learning through jittery cooking.
Butternut Squash Barley Risotto
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t dried rosemary leaves
- 1 butternut squash, seeded, peeled and finely diced
- 1 1/2 c pearl barley, rinsed
- 4 c soup stock
- freshly grated parmesan
Heat oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and rosemary, stirring for 1 minute. Add barley, mixing well. Add stock and bring to a boil.
Place squash in a slow cooker or Dutch oven. Pour barley mixture over the squash, and mix well. Cover and cook for 4 hours until everything is fork tender. Stir in parmesan just before serving. Serves 8.
- This very healthy Butternut Squash Barley Risotto is an old favorite and hails from the sweet potato version in Judith Finlayson‘s Slow Cooker Recipes.
- Butternut Squash Barley Risotto (munchomom.com)
- Barley with Butternut Squash, Apple & Onion (veronicascornucopia.com)
- Butternut Squash Risotto (meatballsandmilkshakes.com)
- Barley Risotto with Butternut Squash and Gruyere (eatswellwithothers.com)
- Barley Risotto with Roasted Butternut Squash and Goat’s Cheese Recipe (channel4.com)
- Mushroom and Fall Squash Barley Risotto Recipe (foodnetwork.com)