Don’t miss the MMFA Impressionist exhibit. With 100,000 visitors to date, they showcase hauntingly beautiful images to fuel your daydreams. You’ll re-visit Renoir, Degas, Monet, Bonnard, Corot, Gauguin, Manet, Millet, Morisot, Pissarro, Sisley, Toulouse-Lautrec and other impressionist superstars.
After feasting your eyes, gather a potluck gang who’d appreciate these delectable Veggie Latkes. Diehards will insist upon potato latkes fried in oil. I say make room for diversity. When is the last time you made 48 latkes using a mere tablespoon of oil and zero potatoes? Another Hanukkah miracle!
- 2 c minced onion
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 t sea salt
- 1 t thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and grated (4 cups)
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 3 c homemade breadcrumbs
- 1 c grated cheddar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
Veggie Latke Garnish
- 1 1/2 c thick plain yogurt
- a pinch of sea salt if required
- 1 small container black caviar
Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a baking pan with parchment paper.
You can save time by using a food processor to turn your old bread into bread crumbs, finely chop the onions then the mushrooms, as well as to grate the carrots, zucchini and cheddar.
Sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until softened. Add mushrooms, salt, thyme and garlic, cooking on low for about 8 more minutes.
Use a large bowl to combine carrots, zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs and pepper. Add the cooked mushroom mixture. Mix well, form into mini patties, then spread them out on the baking pan.
Roast at 400F for 10 minutes, until golden, then flip and continue roasting for an additional 8 minutes. Allow them to sit in the oven for a few minutes after cooking until the exterior gets dry and crispy. Yield is 48 mini latkes. Serves 12 (closer to 11, because you are going to eat 3 or 4 before you know it). Amazing garnished with yogurt and a little black caviar–you don’t need the super expensive kind.
- Thanks to cooking wonder Susie Martin for suggesting the Mollie Katzen Carrot Mushroom Loaf that inspired this recipe.
- Bringing appetizers to potluck dinners–It’s just like having the pole position in the Grand Prix. Who doesn’t love the first bite?
- Today’s Recipe: Mushroom, Goat Cheese and Herb Frittata (williams-sonoma.com)
- Poblano Chilies Stuffed with Black Beans and Summer Squash (williams-sonoma.com)
- Potato Pancakes – AKA Latkes (cookingwithchar.wordpress.com)
- How to Lighten Up the Festival of Lights (health.usnews.com)
- Latkes and Compromise: The Secret to a Happy Marriage (saltandserenity.com)
- Hanukkah Latke Recipe – with a Twist! (people.com)