I love burgers — all kinds of burgers. This one is outstanding. Don’t trust me. Make them, and see for yourself. Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. This recipe is super easy to put together.
- 2 lbs ground meat, a mixture of lamb and beef
- 1/2 c each finely chopped yellow onion, grated carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T each grated fresh ginger, chopped fresh mint
- 1 t each sea salt, sweet paprika, ground cumin, curry powder
- 1/4 t each cayenne, ground cinnamon, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c dried homemade bread crumbs
- 2 small eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the lamb and beef in a large bowl. Gently stir the vegetables and herbs into the ground meat. Mix in the bread crumbs and eggs. Form into 10 patties. Broil until cooked through. Serve with mango salad and rice pilaf or ketchup, green salad and roasted potatoes. Serves 6-8. Can be frozen.
- My sister-in-law, Marleine Thede, is a doer. I admire her creativity and perpetual energy. She’s a fabulous cook, and jittery cook will sponge more of her recipes–just as soon as she surrenders them. Thanks for this keeper, Marleine.
- This Moroccan Meat Loaf recipe from the Niman Ranch Cookbook was intended as a loaf. I modified it into burgers. The jittery version cooks in a fraction of the time with minimum effort, no oil and divine flavour — a Hanukkah miracle!
- Many thanks to Nancy Lee Dover Fleischer for alerting me to this recipe. You and Marleine are now in the running for the Jittery Cook Blackcurrant Vodka. L’chaim and Happy Hanukkah!
- Are you cooking anything miraculous for Hanukkah this year?
- Today’s Recipe: Braised Moroccan Lamb Chops (williams-sonoma.com)
- Today’s Recipe: Spaghetti and Meatballs (williams-sonoma.com)
- Portabella Mushroom Burger Bento #41 (theroxxbox.com)
- Today’s Recipe: Grilled Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki (williams-sonoma.com)
- Celebrate a Vegan Hanukkah (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Why simple food is best at Hanukkah (wyff4.com)
- Hanukkah’s New Tastes, Still Rooted in Tradition (nytimes.com)
- My Main Mensch Hanukkah Harry is in the House! (moviewriternyu.wordpress.com)