Atwater Market holds some great surprises. On a warm summer day there was a steady long, long lineup at Satay Brothers — a sure indicator of gastronomic delights. Just ask for their specialty. You’ll be steered towards Laksa, a soup-meal that will add spice to your life. The ingredients: coconut milk, shrimp, organic chicken, fried tofu, quail egg, fish cake, lai fan noodles, coriander, bean sprouts and sambal. Your only decision is how hot.
Once you’re at the Atwater Market, pick up a nice, large, round, healthy green cabbage. I never quite know what to do with a whole cabbage. A single cabbage can stretch to make something delicious to feed a rather large group. After slicing up two-thirds of this green baby, I still have to get creative with the remainder. Got any brilliant suggestions? I’m all ears.
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T coconut vinegar or apple cider
- 1 T buckwheat honey or your favorite sweetener
- 1 T grainy mustard
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 medium unpeeled apples, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 8 c sliced green cabbage
- 3/4 c dried mulberries or cranberries
- 3/4 c raw cashews, or lightly toasted pecans
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine vinegars and mustard in small bowl. Mix in the honey and olive oil. Toss apples with lemon juice. Combine apples, cabbage, nuts and mulberries.
Add dressing and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for a few hours and toss before serving. Serves 8-10.
- Inspiration for this Tangy Coleslaw is from Southern Food.
- Check out the rest of the menu below: Satay Brothers, Atwater Market, Montreal.
- For the skinny on how to prepare cabbage so that you’ll get the full health benefits read Harriet Sugar Miller‘s ‘Should I cook cabbage?‘
- There are two original Jittery Cook coleslaw recipes — one with Jicama, and one that’s full of greens.
- Asian Style Chicken Coleslaw (The Recipe ReDux) (whatsforeats.com.au)
- My Favorite Coleslaw Recipe (rubyandwheaky.wordpress.com)
- Picnic Perfect: Apple-Infused Coleslaw in a Jar (nestleusa.wordpress.com))
- Savoy Cabbage Salad with Apples and Walnuts (emmycooks.com)
- Recipe: Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)