There is something about Labour Day that feels New Yearish. For a fresh start, put all the summer excesses behind you with this easy to prepare soup. How about a digestive rest? Enjoy just this recipe or the entire 2-day detox cleanse menu. The sweet sliced apple perfectly complements this healthful blend of vegetables.
Dr. Oz’s Vegetable Broth with Sliced Apple
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, fronds and stalks included, roughly chopped
- 2 t caraway seeds
- 2 t sea salt
- ¼ t freshly ground pepper
- ¼ t cayenne pepper
- 1 cup sliced shiitake caps
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cabbage, roughly chopped (Purple or green–will determine the colour of your soup)
- 2 quarts water (or enough water to cover the vegetables)
- 2 T paprika
- 2 T fresh oregano, chopped
- 8 sprigs parsley
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped (garnish)
- sliced apples, cut just before serving
Cook everything, except for the half cup of chopped parsley and the apple, in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour or until the vegetables are fork tender. Blend, and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve with sliced apple and a side of sauerkraut.
Here is the entire menu for the full 48 hour cleanse:
- original vegetable broth recipe
- shopping list
- breakfast quinoa recipe
- lunch fruit smoothie
- detox snack drinks
- detox veggie snacks
- Rather than a once in a while cleanse, I’m enjoying this soup any old time. It’s my detox course.
- Make healthy eating your Labour’s Day resolution, and you’ll be svelte and fit by New Year’s Eve.