I had my first internet date. Anne from Cocovie was in town. We met over the internet and scheduled an impromptu lunch, where we discussed her impending entry into the Quebec marketplace. Anne is a lovely 31 year old entrepreneur spreading coconut joy far and wide. This is what she brought especially for me:
I’m not going to tell you just how delicious her coconut jams are. I’m just going to keep after Anne until she manages to get her Cocovie products into our stores. You can of course order them, if you’re not the waiting type.
This was a last minute arrangement, so I quickly threw together this light lunch. I’m pretty sure you’re going to like this one. We did.
Orange Sesame Dressing
- 1 c orange juice (3 fresh oranges, juiced)
- 1/4 c coconut vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1 T soy sauce
- 3/4 t sea salt
- 1/2 t dry mustard
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 t coconut sugar (or your favorite sweetener)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 t Sriracha hot chili sauce
Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend well and refrigerate in a jar until ready to serve. Shake well before serving.
- 2 Belgian endive, sliced
- 1/2 bunch of watercress, roughly chopped
- 6 radishes, sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 c sugar snap peas, strings removed, sliced crosswise in thirds
- 4 small yellow tomatoes as garnish
- 1 can wild red Alaskan Sockeye ‘Vital Choice’ salmon
Toss the salmon onto the salad and add dressing liberally. Serves 2.
- Credit for inspiring this delicious meal goes to Mollie Katzen’s Salads – Orange Sesame Dressing. As per usual, this version has half the amount of oil and several other tweaks. Her book is a must-have for salad lovers.
- Credit for recommending the healthiest canned salmon (you can order online) goes to Harriet Sugar Miller of Eat and Beat Cancer. I’ll be truly impressed and grateful when somebody figures out how to get this superior salmon into our stores.
- Thanks to Sonia Ribaux of Clicking50 for contributing the Sweet Pepper and Tomato Sauce and to Elizabeth Joffe for the Roasted Tomato Sauce.
- Orange Sesame Kale Salad (healthymoderation.com)
- Chinese Chicken Salad (thenotsosupermama.com)
- California Roll Salad (justalittleginger.com)
- Chillin: Cold Sesame Soba and Green Beans with Miso Dressing (persephonemagazine.com)
- Spicy Salad (healingfoodculture.wordpress.com)
- Arugula Salad with Sesame Viniagrette (acedarspoon.com)