On a hot day, a light lunch salad, followed by some fruit for dessert, will keep you sharp in the afternoon. If you decide to pack this one up to bring along to work, prepare yourself for envious glances and stares. It is that attractive and that delicious. Presentation is lovely enough for a special luncheon or pot luck.
Summer Salad Ingredients
- 8 c baby spinach leaves
- 4 hardboiled eggs, thinly sliced
- 6 large mushrooms, finely chopped, (3 ½ cups)
- 2 dry shallots, finely chopped
- 4 T olive oil
- 3 T good balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 c feta, finely chopped
- 1 small avocado, finely chopped (at the last minute)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices healthy bread, lightly brushed with olive oil, cut into small cubes
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced as garnish
Pre-heat the oven to 300F. Bake the tiny croutons for 15 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave them to in to dry out.
Heat 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick frying-pan. Cook shallots on medium high heat for 2 minutes to soften.
Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle on a little salt and pepper. Add mushrooms, still warm, to the salad, unless you decide to pack it up for next day’s gourmet lunch, in which case you can let them cool off first.
Divide the spinach leaves on 4 plates. Scatter on all ingredients at random or in a pattern, with the croutons and scallions on last. Drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar on each plate, along with some salt and pepper.
- Ever wonder what to bring when visiting someone in their new abode? Check out these housewarming gifts.
- Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette (makeitnaked.com)
- Pasta Salad with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Feta and Olives (seasonedsisters.wordpress.com)
- Proscuitto Stuffed Fagottini With Spinach & Sundried Tomatoes (hellobeautiful.com)
- Recipe for Lisa’s Cross-Cultural Salsa with Tomato, Avocado, Lime, and Feta (kalynskitchen.com)
- Quinoa, Spinach and Mushroom Salad (nytimes.com)
- Garden Sink Greek… an ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ Greek Salad (chi-girl.com)
- Pumpkin, Spinach + Feta Tart (pipandwillow.wordpress.com)