chickpea recipe, healthy hummus recipe, healthy recipes, hummus and tahini, hummus recipe, hummus with vegetables and pine nuts, Japanese eggplant, pine nuts, pita chip recipe, pita chips, spiced pita chip recipe, spiced pita chips, Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning, tahini
I can’t hear the word ‘beer‘ without thinking back fondly of Frankenstein’s in Boston. Just one block’s trot from my student flat. I could eat dinner there for just $1. It was 1987, true, but $1? The hotdogs, the only food served in this funky bar, were ginormous (gigantic and enormous). The toppings were practically a meal in themselves–an overwhelming array of sauerkraut, baked beans, corn kernels, hot peppers and multiple sauces. Those were the pre-heartburn years.
There were over 100 types of foreign beer on the menu, but I always ordered Pilsner Urquell. I liked saying Pilsner Urquell–It sounded so exotic and grown up and I really, truly appreciated its taste.
While you’re contemplating reaching for an icy cold beer with Frankenstein’s in mind, try to imagine how well this Delectable Hummus Appetizer atop Spiced Pita Chips would enhance the Pilsner of your dreams. Just like the toppings on Frank’s dogs, the finely chopped veggie bits help make this snack food more nutritious and calorie-friendly.
Delectable Hummus Appetizer Ingredients
- 2 1/2 c small dry chickpeas, or 16 oz can (BPA free), well rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water, as required to get your preferred consistency (if using canned)
- 3-4 T lemon juice
- 2-3 T tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 t sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 c cucumber, peeled, seeded if necessary and finely chopped
- 1/4 c parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 c coloured bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 c Japanese eggplant, cut into small bits, brushed with olive oil, dusted with sea salt, then roasted at 400 degrees for 15 minutes
- 1/4 c sun-dried tomato in oil, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 c pine nuts, lightly toasted
- large pita, (whole wheat are healthier), split open
- Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning (Costco Club House brand is good)
- olive oil, for spraying or brushing
- Did you know there are 32 hummus recipe variations, including peanut butter? Now there are 33.
- Did you know there are 12 ways to make guacamole?
- This post was inspired by the insanely gorgeous blog, Spoon Fork Bacon, of which I am decidedly and unashamedly jealous, for obvious reasons.
- Read all about the $100 Dragon dog, the most expensive hot dog in the world.