Have you seen the Pepsi job interview commercial? A young man goes bonkers during a job interview, pretending he’s being punched, drowned and evicted from the office. All the other candidates run for their lives, leaving one smiling, calm, cool and collected candidate. Of course he’s hired, and gets mightily cheered by all his friends, who staged the event, just outside the office building. Is it just me, or are the commercials more creative than the shows?
This recipe is meant to be a last minute, thrown together affair for those times you neglected to plan ahead. It relies on staples lurking in most moderately well stocked fridges. I was encouraged to try it, and I’m so glad I did. Love it!
Savoury Cheese Pie
- 1 T butter or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c each sharp cheddar and low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded (or cheeses of your choice)
- 2 T flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 t each Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 T fresh oregano, chopped or 1 t dry oregano
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate. Melt the butter in a small skillet, then sauté the onion until softened, but not browned. Transfer the onion to a large bowl. Mix in the cheese and flour with a fork. Spread the mixture into the pie plate. In a second large bowl beat the eggs, then add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese mixture. Top with tomatoes and oregano. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until top is lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Deliciousness endorsement courtesy of the very talented designer, Melissa Smiley.
- Recipe posted with permission to promote the “Cooking With Love” cookbook, Maimonides fundraiser. Perfect to give as a gift to someone you love.
- Real men really do eat quiche. Read all about it in Savoury Table.
- For Shiitake mushroom and gruyere cheese quiche, check out Kitchen Encounters.
- For multiple options, check out Quiche Recipes.
- Read crazy quiche combos on Chow Hound.