Dreaming of the Big Island, Hawaii, where everything feels great, looks great, tastes great. A vacation destination that screams out to become “home”. Take a look at these Jittery Cook family photos from January 2011. They’ll put you in the mood for a trip to warmer climes, or perhaps just some Hawaiian Chicken Salad.
The Hawaiian Chicken Salad recipe was developed slowly, coming together after the cooked marinated chicken was taste tested and complimentary foods and flavours were selected. It makes more than 10 servings and works well in a buffet meal. Reduce quantities for a smaller gang.
Hawaiian Chicken Marinade
- 4 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken
- 3/4 c salsa
- 1/3 c honey
- 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 c orange juice, (fresh squeezed is best)
- 2 T Dijon
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 1/2 T minced ginger
Mix all marinade ingredients and coat chicken in a 13 x 9 inch baking casserole, refrigerating for several hours or overnight. Bake, covered, in a 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until no longer pink. Cube chicken, straining off and reserving liquid.
Chicken, Kiwi, Pineapple, Quinoa, Pomegranate, Pecans
Hawaiian Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 5 c cubed chicken, recipe above, cooled
- 2 c quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 3 c reserved cooking liquid, plus water if necessary
- 1 pineapple, 2 c cubed, the rest thinly sliced
- 8-10 kiwi, peeled, sliced wide and quartered, into small chunks
- 1 pomegranate, seeds extracted
- 2 c pecans, slowly roasted for 15 minutes in a 250 degree oven
- 1/2 c cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
Cook the quinoa, using 1/2 c less liquid if using a rice cooker. Mix chicken, quinoa and fruit, garnishing with pecans, pomegranate and parsley, piled high on a platter. Garnish with thinly sliced pineapple. Tasted delicious cold, which removes last minute party assembly and heating jitters.
The chicken marinade was from Looneyspoons Low Fat Food Made Fun.
Fabulous article in the Montreal Gazette: Susan Semenaks 50 Apps full of great appetizer recipe suggestions.
Just saw The Descendants, all filmed in Hawaii. Turns out to be Hawaii Theme Day!