It is true that I’ve given sugar a well deserved bad name in past posts. And it is true that I stated that I couldn’t be counted on to provide dessert recipes. However, every rule has it’s exceptions. And, today is a good day for exceptions.
Chocolate. Dark chocolate. Dark chocolate with delectable dried fruits AND roasted nuts. The end. OK, not exactly the end. Here’s how to make it come to life. This recipe is adapted from the 2007 December Bon Appetit Test Kitchen version. It’s classic and classy.
Exceptional Dark Chocolate Bark
- 2 c bittersweet, good quality dark chocolate chips – (60% cocoa)
- 2/3 c mixed roasted nuts (walnuts, pistachios, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts)
- 2/3 c mixed dried fruit, cut into strips or small chunks (raisins, cranberries, cherries, figs, apricots – organic is best)
- 6 thinly sliced loonie size crystallized ginger rounds
- 1/8 t coarse kosher salt or fleur de sel
Thanks to Prana for wonderful organic dried fruit and nuts that render the chocolate bark extra tasty and healthy. To buy good quality chocolate; the bulk bin store next to Premiere Moisson, on the second floor of Atwater Market , has Valrhona or Callebaut, both are excellent quality. I neglected to note the name of this store. Anybody know it?
Thanks to my lovely daughter Adrianne for licking the chocolate melting bowl, doing the dishes and being my #1 partner in enjoying Dark Chocolate Bark.